Friday, April 19, 2013

VyVy Educational Foundation History


Khang Le

HISTORY OF THE FOUNDATION

My Name is Khang Le. I am a father, a husband, a son, an uncle. I am a second generation educator.  I have my Associate of Arts in English at Binh Duong Junior Training College in 1977, my University Diploma in English at University of Pedagogy in 2001. These combined studies are considered equivalent to the Bachelor of Arts in English, awarded by regionally accredited colleges and universities in the United States of America. I have been in education for 7 years in single subject for general education in Vietnam, working at Thai Hoa High School in Tan Uyen-Vietnam, Tuong Binh Hiep Secondary School in Tuong Binh Hiep-Vietnam, and Binh Duong Uniersity-Vietnam. Immigrating to the USA, I have been following with my passion of teaching for Special Education Department in Huntington Beach City School District as Teacher’s Assistant since 2007.
I come from a middle class background family. My father used to be a Science Teacher serving in public schools for more than 20 years. My mom earned her Associate of Arts in Accounting. She worked in Binh Duong Hospital for more than 35 years as an Accountant. My oldest brother is an Electrical Engineer, working in Binh Duong Electric Company; the other is a driver, working in the same company with my oldest one.
Teaching in Tuong Binh Hiep Secondary School, I deeply understood our student backgrounds. There were so many students who could not afford to go to school for education due to their financial problems. After leaving for the United States of America in 2004, I always think of doing something for my students who really need help to be able to continue their education. There is no resource for help so I decided to run my foundation by recycling. I save all the money from the recycling program to help the poor Vietnamese students who wish to achieve their goals in education. The foundation was established on May 23rd, 2007 with the name” The Cox & Le Educational Foundation”.  A year after running the foundation, I decided to change the foundation name to Vyhan Charity under my  daughters’ names. I would believe they will continue carrying my mission after I am gone.

Below are the criteria to receive the annual scholarship from the foundation:

1.     The student must come from a family with financial needs. The family will be required to show proof of their financial needs on annual basis.

2.     The student must be ranged from K-12, student record must be provided to the foundation.

3.     There will be two sets of qualifying achievement for the student:

i)       Initial Scholarship: - Student must show proof with an official transcript that he/she has a grade point no less than 5.5 and no greater than 7.0

ii)     Returning student:- To continue receiving the scholarship, student must show proof of growth in their academic; therefore, a grade point of no less than 6.5

4.     The scholarship will hand to the assigned member of the foundation in Vietnam for the tuition, including materials such as pen, pencil, textbook, notebook, etc.  A receipt of the tuition and materials must be provided to the foundation annually by mailing.

i)       A scholarship will be no more than $100 U.S per family/annual until the review period.

ii)     No more than one student per family. The sibling can be on the waiting list until the candidate graduate from the program due to the limited of fund.

iii)   No more than 2 families per year. This can be changed if the foundation has additional resource for additional fund.

iv)   Important contact information should be provided including

·        School Address

·        School Phone Number

·        Candidate teacher’s phone number

·        Candidate’s phone number (if applicable)

·        A written letter from candidate who receives the scholarship once a year.

5.     The fund will be available by August 4th of each year. An annual review by the founder will be held by November 24th.

6.     All current semester transcripts should be sent to the founder two weeks by post office mailing before the deadline to:

Khang Le-Yen Nguyen

2128 S.Parton St,

Santa Ana, CA92707

7.     Contact information:

Khang Le-Yen Nguyen

Mailing Address: 2128 S.Parton St,

Santa Ana, CA92707.

Email: Vyhancharity@gmail.com

Phone: 714-850-1737

No comments:

Post a Comment